laugardagur, september 11, 2004

Powerline to Ethernet Bridge

Hi World (and myself!) ;-)
This is an updated post since May. In the beginning of May I bougth myself a pair of Planet PL-101E Powerline to Ethernet Bridges, which makes it possible for me to access my ADSL modem upstairs from downstairs without any additional plugging. These came cheap and cost only one third of the price of a Wireless system.
The problem is, however, that my Clevo Laptop seems not able to connect properly to this bridge. All the lights show but I am not able to set the password and get a message that says that no bridge is found (or something like that).
No help on the internet (browsing and browsing), so this seems not a problem related to the bridge. Now I have to check the network settings of the laptop, I think, and see whether I get any solotions from there. Maybe a wrong IP physically on the NIC?
Intellon is going OpenSource with the drivers/utilities for their chipset. Here is a posting I came across on SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/people/viewjob.php?group_id=101914&job_id=18131):

HomePlug Powerline Driver writer and porter
Designated Contact: jamesmentz
Status: Open
Open Date: 2004-03-24 07:35
For Project: PowerPacket USB Driver and Config Utiliy
Long Description: Intellon's HomePlug software has gone open source.
Intellon is the chipset provider for over 95% of the HomePlug products on the market.
HomePlug makes every electrical outlet in your home act like a port on one giant 10BaseT switch-hub.
A commercial explanation of these products is at:
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/XE102.php?view=hm
We want to give the world a Linux USB driver and Network/Security Configuration Utility.
We opened the Windows source for porting and our IC's Technical Reference Manual (better than the datasheet) if you want to start from scratch.
I am the Applications Engineer that convinced the company that an open project was at least as good as our scheduled-for-summer-completion in-house closed development project. So far I've been wrong. We shared our secret sauce recipe with the world and nothing happened.
I am looking for a few good developers to show the world that they can do something with this code. The output will get high visibility with HomePlug member companies - major consumer electronics makers.
As a sourceforge newbie I don't want to toe the line for commercial opportunities, but I can certainly chuck some free HomePlug adapters to *select* individuals who convince me that they are willing and capable of driving this effort with me.
In addition to starting the empty shell of a SoureForge project, I have placed the package on our web site at:
http://www.intellon.com/support/Intellon_Linux_Release_Package.zip
and posted an app note about it at:
http://www.intellon.com/support/Intellon_Linux_App_Note_26002465.pdf
thanks,
James.Mentz@intellon.com
Required Skills: Skill 7110 Networking Level Competent Experience 2 yr - 5 yr

Now, you able guys, it is only to sign up and help.
More later. Böðvar

Engin ummæli: